commons-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Murdoch <adammurd...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [?][SUBMIT] FileSystem.java
Date Wed, 20 Nov 2002 09:50:19 GMT
On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 07:11 pm, Jeff Varszegi wrote:

> Is work being done on VFS right now?

Yes.  A little slowly, perhaps, but it is happening.

> Can I help?

Yes, definitely.  Did you have anything particular in mind?  Otherwise, If
you're looking for things to do, there's a bunch of stuff in the todo list
(in cvs - haven't updated the web site yet).  Either way, patches are most
welcome.

> It seems like something
> I could really sink my teeth into.  Are there plans to do nice stuff like
> support agglomerated file systems, so that we can support federated
> namespaces?

Absolutely.  Have a look at the todo list.

> Has VFS already been superseded by something else?

Don't think so.  Even if it were, a little competition never hurt.

> I did poke
> around a lot to find this out, but I am still not sure.
>
> Jeff
>
> P.S. I was wondering why a putFile(FileObject file) appears in the
> AbstractFileSystem class, but not in the interface FileSystem.  I noticed
> some other stuff too.

Because clients of FileSystem never need to 'put' files; The file system is
responsible for creating FileObject instances, so clients only ever 'get'
files.  AbstractFileSystem maintains a cache of FileObjects, and the
putFile() method is there for subclasses to add files to that cache.

--
Adam