commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Varszegi <jvarsz...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [codec] Handling text encodings
Date Tue, 19 Nov 2002 09:39:02 GMT
I just wanted to point out that in similar situations, more than one XML API developer has
chosen
to force String input to be wrapped in StringReader instances.  This is in a whole programming
area devoted to nothing but processing text!  I don't think it's inappropriate at all, even
though
I've seen XML utility methods that take Strings more times than I can remember.  My main point,
though, is that we all may as well code it right the first time for anything that's not trivial.

You can always wrap codec code that deals with streams to deal with chunks, but not the other
way
around.

Jeff