commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rodney Waldhoff <rwaldh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Pool: provide ability to destroy object from "active" part of a pool based on timeout
Date Fri, 01 Nov 2002 17:32:20 GMT
None of the pool implementations currently in org.apache.commons.pool.impl
keep track of the "active" objects, although you could certainly extend
them to do so (or add brand new pools that would do so).  It seems AbandonedObjectPool in
DBCP does just that but I haven't looked
at the implementation in detail.

If you've got a pool implementation that does that, feel free to submit
the patch (although I think there is some value in continuing to support
pools that don't track the active objects directly).  The new
invalidateObject method should help with this implementation.

(For that matter, it seems possible to create something like
AbandonedObjectPool that can wrap an arbitrary ObjectPool, so that you
could add this functionality to any other pool impl if you wanted it.)