commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [all]Naming conventions (where do I find 'em?)
Date Mon, 18 Nov 2002 19:07:50 GMT
On Sunday, November 17, 2002, at 08:05 PM, Jeff Varszegi wrote:

> Thanks for your thoughtful reply.  I think that code that has standard
> naming conventions is
> easier for people to understand, and makes it more likely to be adopted
> (in addition to making it
> look more professional).  Maybe it comes from my English-geek background;
>  one of the things I love
> about object-oriented languages like Java is that my code turns out to
> read almost like a story if
> I've taken time with the naming of things.
>
> I am having a blast digging through all the Jakarta projects for the
> first time, but at first I
> was a little confused as to some of the website organization.  I just
> figured I was missing the
> coding-standards documentation if I didn't immediately see any.

the web site has grown rather than been designed. this has advantages and
disadvantages. it grows organically by the efforts of our contributors. so,
  if you can see an improvement, then why not submit a patch.

if you want to submit an improvement for a subproject site (eg.
jakarata-commons) then you need to find out how their site is built and
then either post your patch to their dev mailing list or add it to
bugzilla. (jakarta-commons is build with anakia and the documents you need
to patch live in the top level xdocs folder.)

if it's for the jakarta site, then you need should read

http://jakarta.apache.org/site/jakarta-site2.html

(though it's mainly aimed at committers) and then post your patches to
general@jakarta.apache.org.

- robert