commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Ola Berg" <>
Subject Re: [codec] Handling text encodings
Date Tue, 19 Nov 2002 10:36:42 GMT
> It should work with streams, no doubt about it.

> I think that there should be two separate
> interfaces-- at least that's what I've usually done in such situations.

An argument against that would be that both en- and decoding are simply stream transformations.
It is the context (or your mind or need at that particular time) that decides whether this
is a decoding or encoding transformation.

In a neutral way, two transformations could be defined, and a third object (the codec) defines
that transformation a is encoding while transformation b is decoding.

> (or at least providing interfaces in advance to point the way, so that everything
> will grow nicely together).

Sure, anything we come up with should be able to adapt to common stream handling routines.

What I smell is a generic interface, not belonging in codec, but in lang, for these kind of

And while I think at it, I think that one will end up with something very similar to the streams
classes in io (because it is justified with block handling as well as singular symbol handling).

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message