commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: what's the right way to deal with unlicensed code in sandbox?
Date Fri, 25 Oct 2002 06:32:50 GMT
On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, robert burrell donkin
<robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> i suppose there should be an attempt to contact those responsible
> for the component and ask them either to add the correct copyright
> notice or remove .

This seems to be the most polite way to do it and I'd try that route
before changing anything myself.

To quote Roy Fielding:

,----
| On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@apache.org> wrote:
|
| In prior decisions, the board of directors has approved the
| distribution of BSD-based or MPL 1.1 open source code as part of our
| projects, provided that the license terms are adhered to strictly.
| Any new code, however, must be under the Apache License and
| copyright ASF.
`----

Assuming the code you are talking about is "new code", there isn't any
choice but either add the Apache License or remove the code.

> i legal terms, the safest course of action is probably to do the
> immediately and then let the component committers put them back in
> once they have proper copyright notices.

Probably yes.

Stefan