commons-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject [modeler] merging dynamicMbean and discovery
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 22:36:14 GMT
I would like to propose 3 enhancements to modeler.

The DynamicMbean ( from tomcat-util ) can support beans that
have no xml description, using introspection. I'm in process of converting
it to a model mbean and integrate it with Registry.

The second is a new class "Modeler" that will act as a front
end - with no dependency on JMX. The goal is to be able to use
modeler in applications directly, even if the app doesn't have
a dependency on JMX. ( i.e. if JMX is not available, the code
will fall back to noop). I think this will simplify a lot of
code ( i.e. it would be possible to make calls to modeler directly
without listeners/etc ).

I would also like to add a bit of discovery ( for start
just getResources(), but later we could use commons-discovery ).
It should read "META-INF/modeler.xml" ( not sure about the name)
from all jars. This will allow other applications to be
jmx-enabled.

Opinions? Craig ? Remy ?

Costin