commons-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject [resources] ResourcesDynaBean?
Date Tue, 15 Oct 2002 19:08:33 GMT
I have a situation where I'd like to use a MessageResources object as
a bean.  I was thinking about implementing a ResourcesDynaBean that
would wrap a Resources object, but then after thinking about it and
looking at the Resources code, I realize the complexity of knowing
the available message keys ahead of time.  Without those, I don't see
how you could make a DynaClass, but given the fall-back nature of
internationalized resources files, it's uncertain how you would get
all the key names.

It strikes me that if you required a locale for the
ResourcesDynaBean, as well as a Resources, then you could reasonably
load all of the resource files in the chain, from most specific to
least, and get all the key names.  I suppose the overhead to doing
all of this at DynaBean creation time might be significant.

Does this even seem useful to anyone else?

Joe

* Joe Germuska    { joe@germuska.com }
"It's pitiful, sometimes, if they've got it bad. Their eyes get
glazed, they go white, their hands tremble.... As I watch them I
often feel that a dope peddler is a gentleman compared with the man
who sells records."
	--Sam Goody, 1956