commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <>
Subject [lang] JDK 1.2.2 compilation failures
Date Sun, 27 Oct 2002 19:38:45 GMT
I moved to JDK 1.2.2 on my dev server to do the Collections release, then
forgot about it. So I just tried to recompile Lang under 1.2.2 and got a
few errors. I remember there being some mention of this before, but might
not have been the same thing.

Basically 2 errors:

1) uses Collections.EMPTY_MAP.  This is a JDK 1.3 thing.

2) ToStringStyle has half a dozen errors along the lines of:

Method 'setUseFieldNames' is inherited in nested class
org.apache.commons.lang.builder.ToStringStyle. NoFieldNameToStringStyle,
and hides a method of the same name in class
org.apache.commons.lang.builder.ToStringStyle. An explicit 'this'
qualifier must be used to select the desired instance.
    [javac]             setUseFieldNames(false);

I can only assume this is something to do with private static classes.
Anyone hit this before?

Under 1.3 it all builds and tests fine.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>