commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: Apache commons [was:Re: Naming issues]
Date Mon, 21 Oct 2002 20:42:58 GMT

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Stephen Colebourne wrote:

> But Nicola Ken, the basic problem is that I don't support the merging of a
> Java commons with a non-Java commons. There are way too many issues
> generated and few if any benefits. So, I should spend even more of my time
> subscribing to yet another list, to get another 50 emails a day, just to say
> no.

Yep. The reorg itself isn't bad and the Incubator is a good idea
[commons-sandbox is failing in that respect in my opinion]. But I'm left
wondering why a joint Commons if we make the assumption that I believe in:

1) Sharing a mailing list with other languages is not going to help me. It
might help tomcat and httpd, but not the areas I'm involved in.

I've looked at APR to nick ideas for Java utilities. It really just
doesn't map.

2) Sharing a CVS module will be painful.

3) Sharing a website will be painful.

Once those three axioms are accepted, there is no project community, and
therefore no point for the apache-commons project.

I need to post this to apache-commons methinks :)

> And whats more, no-ones given me any opportunity to vote on it. Its being
> presented as a fait accompli. (And yes I've read your email about it not
> being imposed, but it sure as hell feels that way).

There is a certain, "you can go your own way, but we feel we're bigger
than you" feeling. Maybe we're just defensive though?

Hen