commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: [general] checkstyle report
Date Sun, 20 Oct 2002 03:20:00 GMT

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, John Keyes wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would be interested to hear people's opinions on the resolution
> of checkstyle's error reporting.  There are two options, one is to
> correct the code style so it conforms to the checkstyle settings,
> the other is to modify the settings to be less stringent.

Possibly a set of checkstyle settings could be made. We could classify
different styles as 'Jon-style', 'Jason-style', 'Sun-style' and projects
could use those styles.

> IMO, it would be great to have a common style across commons.
> I do think there would be opposition if this became a requirement
> though so I think relaxing the checkstyle properties is probably
> the way to go.

It'd be wonderful. Now once you all agree to like my style [btw, George
Reese converted me to doing static before public and abstract before
public, none of you will mind will you?] then we can get to work :) ie)
snowball, texas, free-beer.

Relaxing the style seems a bit of a wimpy solution though :( So I like my
idea of having a set of commons-styles. ie) Create a few standards.
Possibly.

I think that's maybe a ice-patch, kentucky, 80% off beer though. So
probably not likely to work.

Hen