commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: [lang] Ideas for Lang
Date Mon, 14 Oct 2002 04:18:51 GMT

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, John Yu wrote:

> Steve,
>
> An initial thought:
>
> I suppose what you have in mind is MutableString extends java.util.String.

String is final. Same for all/most of the Immutable painful things.

>  > 4) Pair. Is this Collections? Dunno. Anyway, pairs seem to be nice
>  > sometimes. I only have one because I was porting the lisp examples to Java
>  > from the lisp book [yep, i'm that sick].
>
> Isn't o.a.c.collections.DefaultMapEntry, fulfilling the role of Pair?

Possibly, though it isn't semantically. Assuming there's a need for a Pair
class, using DefaultMapEntry would not fulfill it, even if the
functionality were the same.

My vague view being that things can be syntactically the same but
semantically different.

Hen