commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <>
Subject Re: [lang] Ideas for Lang
Date Mon, 14 Oct 2002 04:18:51 GMT

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, John Yu wrote:

> Steve,
> An initial thought:
> I suppose what you have in mind is MutableString extends java.util.String.

String is final. Same for all/most of the Immutable painful things.

>  > 4) Pair. Is this Collections? Dunno. Anyway, pairs seem to be nice
>  > sometimes. I only have one because I was porting the lisp examples to Java
>  > from the lisp book [yep, i'm that sick].
> Isn't o.a.c.collections.DefaultMapEntry, fulfilling the role of Pair?

Possibly, though it isn't semantically. Assuming there's a need for a Pair
class, using DefaultMapEntry would not fulfill it, even if the
functionality were the same.

My vague view being that things can be syntactically the same but
semantically different.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message