commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject [lang] Ideas for Lang
Date Fri, 11 Oct 2002 20:13:41 GMT

Here's my list of things I mean to get around to adding soon:

1) Notifier class. I need a better name for this. Basically it's a helper
that uses reflection [used to use Notifiable interface, but I decided it
wasn't worth it, possibly wants to do both] to help a developer create an
event/listener list.

It handles the notifying and the queueing etc and the developer just has
to tell it what method or Listener to use [or both if Listener has
multiple method signatures].

2) Mutable primitive classes. Pondered this at the hospital today. Do we
want such things? new MutableInteger();   mi.setValue(42); etc. Same for
MutableString.

3) Constant. I'm still unsure if this is good or not :) It's been in and
out and in etc. My reasons for deciding it was shit was cuz I wanted to
use == when I initially grew to love it and RMI/Java means I have to use
.equals. But Enum makes that same choice. So is a simple-enum concept
needed.

4) Pair. Is this Collections? Dunno. Anyway, pairs seem to be nice
sometimes. I only have one because I was porting the lisp examples to Java
from the lisp book [yep, i'm that sick].

5) StopWatch. Currently this is in [util], but as its basically a wrapper
for System.currentLongTimeBlah I thought I'd mention it.

That's all that's springing to mind right now.

Hen