commons-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Sitze <rsi...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [Logging] How can I submit a concrete Log implementation (WLSLogger)?
Date Tue, 15 Oct 2002 17:22:59 GMT
I've been thinking along the same lines for a while now...
Anyone adverse to me starting that process in commons-logging?

Specifically, build commons-logging as a set of components:

    commons-logging.jar           (as today?)

    commons-logging-api.jar       (JUST o.a.c.l.Log & o.a.c.l.LogFactory)
    commons-logging-log4j.jar     [including appropriate
META-INF/services/org.apache.commons.logging.Log/LogFactory]
    commons-logging-logkit.jar    [including appropriate
META-INF/services/org.apache.commons.logging.Log/LogFactory]
    commons-logging-jdk14.jar     [including appropriate
META-INF/services/org.apache.commons.logging.Log/LogFactory]

Of course, I'd like to begin the process of replacing LogFactory with the
discovery code also.
<ras>

Richard A. Sitze
IBM WebSphere WebServices Development

IMO:

The best place for a common-logging adapter for a particular
logger is in that logger itself ( like JAXP adapters in parsers :-)

The second best place is in a standalone jar ( including
the META-INF entries ) that would allways be placed in the
same loader as the logger.

We could create a separate dir in commons/logging for this kind
of adapters - and eventually move the current adapters and leave
the commons-logging space with only the API ( and the fallback
simple logger ), and deal with the compilation problems ( and
learn from ant - which is in the same situation )

The current solution of having the adapters in the same jar with
the API creates a lot of problems ( at least in tomcat - if
c-l in in the main loader and different webapps use different loggers ).

Costin

--
Costin