commons-dev mailing list archives

Subject Re: moving to a top-level project (was: [Ant nudge STATUS] Betterthan we thought...)
Date Mon, 28 Oct 2002 15:14:48 GMT
"Michael A. Smith" <> wrote on 29/10/2002 01:36:41 AM:

> > (but that can also be a signal that something ought to move to
> >  something like the commons httpclient might be a good candidate for
> >  spinning out of J-C and Jakarta altogether... *shrug*)
> I've tried to encourage extremely active commons components, like
> httpclient (our most active) and jelly (which is still in the sandbox),
> to move themselves to a higher level, but since I'm not active on those
> particular compmonents, I haven't been too vocal about it.  When I say
> "higher level,"  I'm referring to the Jakarta subproject level (rather
> than a commons component), but that's only because I'm not sure I
> understood the option of promoting to a new top level apache project.

Being a committer on both those projects, I feel that
a) HttpClient needs a stable release first, and that
b) Jelly is only in it's infancy, and needs to get a release or two under
it's belt to iron out the packaging issues.

Both are a good fit for the 'Jakarta Commons' model - embeddable, small,
reusable libraries that other codebases find useful.

I don't yet understand the advantages of being a top-level project. I've
followed the discussions on ant-dev, but still haven't seen much. Mostly
my *impressions* were that it boiled down to:
a) Better visibility and
b) Direct reporting to the board, and hence legal coverage.

I'm not sure you get more visibility, from a java perspective, being versus, and I'm not sure what
advantage brings me yet.

The obvious answer is that neither project is 'in scope' for Jakarta.
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message