commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Luca Zappa" <Luca.Za...@ieee.org>
Subject HMI - Http Method Invocation
Date Tue, 29 Oct 2002 08:18:00 GMT
This is the first email that I write on this mailing-list, after to have
read passively for some days.
First of all, I hope you will be able to understand my bad english!

I'm working on a project that I have called HMI (Http Method Invocation),
the project's proposal is to build a framework (a set of classes and
interfaces) for invoke method over http protocol.
I have started to realize some classes and interfaces, the most important
are:
- ServletSkeleton: this is the server-side servlet to extend, it receives
the method to call, finds the method, and invokes it.
- HttpStub: this is the client-side class to extend, it calls the servlet
and receives the result over http.
- HmiRemote: this is an empty interface that is extended by application
interface, it serves to identify the methods may be invoked with HMI (like
Remote interface utilized in RMI).
- HmiResult: this is the class that contains the return value from a Http
Method Invocation by a servlet. It contains the Object returns by method,
the calculation's time and the possible exception throws by HMI method.

If you want to build an application that utilizes HMI framework you must
build 3 files at least:
1) the interface with all the HMI methods, it must extend HmiRemote
interface.
2) the servlet that extends ServletSkeleton and implements the previus
interface (point 1).
3) the client application that extends HttpStub and implements the previus
interface (point 1) with standard template.

This HMI project utilizes:
- the Reflection to retrieve and invoke the HMI method;
- the JUnit unit testing framework for developing and executing unit tests.

I would like to put the initial code, that must be improved and tested, on
jakarta-commons project. What do you think about?

Comments welcome,
  Luca

---
Luca.Zappa@ieee.org