commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject [beanutils][lang][PROPOSAL] deprecated beanutils version of MethodUtils
Date Sun, 27 Oct 2002 17:24:22 GMT
PROPOSAL
========

there are versions of the MethodUtils code in two components - beanutils
and lang.

i'd prefer not to have to maintain two versions of this code. it makes no
sense to have bugs fixed in beanutils but not in lang or vice versa. there
are also performance improvements and API enhancements that i'd like to
see added but i don't want to have to make these changes in two places.

now, we are finally in a position to consolidate the reflection code from
beanutils into lang and this is what i'm proposing we do.

actions required:

make beanutils dependent on lang
--------------------------------
this is quite a major change and introduces a new dependency for all
beanutils clients. however, lang itself is small and there is a commitment
to keep lang dependencies to a minimum (at the moment, lang has no
dependencies.)

deprecate MethodUtils
---------------------
the version of MethodUtils in beanutils would be deprecated. a new
implementation of the methods in MethodUtils would delegate the execution
to the version in lang.

copy test cases
---------------
the test cases would remain in beanutils and would test that the new
delegated version of MethodUtils has not introduced any new bugs. to
ensure that changes to the version of MethodUtils in lang do not introduce
changes that have to be caught by gump, the existing unit tests for
MethodUtils should be copied into lang.

documentation
documentation for reflection should be consolidated into lang and should
be improved.

i'm willing to make these changes. i am also willing to help to maintain
and improve the code in lang if the lang team are happy to have me as a
committer.

since this change will mean quite a bit of work and will introduce a new
dependency for beanutils, i'd rather not rely on lazy consensus. obviously
i'm +1.

- robert