commons-dev mailing list archives

From John Yu <j...@scioworks.com>
Subject [clazz] Scope?
Date Sun, 27 Oct 2002 04:19:15 GMT
I've been following the threads on [clazz]. There're many intriguing ideas
floating around. However, it is still unclear to me what/how the package
tries to achieve in concrete terms. What's described in "proposal.html" is
pretty abstract.

(But I understand the project is still at an "exploring" stage and various
ideas are been explored.)

It seems to me [clazz] tries to deal with the following areas:

WHATS:
    * Implement a clone of delegators (aka bound method references).
    * Implement some doclet-like meta-attributes for "annotating" Java
classes; these meta-attributes are sort of orthogonal to the object model.
    * Generalize java.lang.reflect.* and java.beans.*; this seems to be a
followup work of BeanUtils.
    * Provide a generic metaclass framework capable of altering class
definitions at runtime. Very ambitious!
(Of course, a metaclass framework is a superset of all. If this can be
done, all the other will fall into places.)

HOWS:
    * Source code pre-processing and generation
    * Byte-code generation via BCEL
    * Dynamic Proxy
Have I missed anything? (Avalon has been mentioned many times in the
threads. I'm not familiar with Alavon. I may have misunderstood stuff.)

If a generic metaclass framework is the goal, I'd suggest to take a look of
some existing meta-object protocols (MOP) as they have strong theoretical
foundations. Two MOPs come to my minds are IBM's SOM C++ metaclass
framework
(http://www2.parc.com/csl/groups/sda/projects/reflection96/docs/forman/forman.pdf)
and OpenJava (http://www.csg.is.titech.ac.jp/openjava/).

Anyway, back to my question: Do we need to clarify the scope?

--
John Yu