commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <>
Subject RE: License and copyright issues
Date Mon, 21 Oct 2002 18:15:14 GMT
At 10:56 21.10.2002 -0700, Martin Cooper wrote:
>I found a few things not yet mentioned:
>3) There are many, many cases where an abbreviated form of the Apache
>license is used. I don't recall whether this is permitted or not, but I know
>at the very least it's "not recommended".

Your statement is generally accepted to be correct. However, it will create
unnecessary work when the ASF switches to the next version of the license
which is significantly longer than the current one. It will be impractical
to copy it verbatim in each source file. For this reason, most projects
will have to revert to using the short form. As far as I know, the short
form is perfectly legal. Please correct me if I am wrong.

>Martin Cooper

others. -- Jon Postel, RFC 793

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>