commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jeffrey Dever <jsde...@sympatico.ca>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-commons/httpclient/src/java/org/apache/commons/httpclient HttpURL.java
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 13:13:23 GMT
Sung-Gu,
Creating a new package org.apache.commons.uri implies creating a new
Jakarta Commons subproject called URI.  Are you suggesting that we start
a new project for this?

Instead of saying HttpURL should be useful outside of HttpClient, you
should have a related set of classes that are useful outside of
httpclient.  It does not make much sense to created an Object Oriented
reusable class  which isolated from others in its package.  HttpURL
should use NameValuePair directly to provide for the simplest interface
and reduce object conversion inside of HttpClient.  Then HttpURL and
NameValuePair can be taken out of HttpClient (if desired at some point)
and used together in somthing else.

You could move these two classes into the httpclient.util package to
clearly denote them as classes that can be removed into own subproject
 in the future.

Lets focus on making HttpClient clean, powerful and efficient right now.

-jsd