commons-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <>
Subject Re: [clazz] Clazz API mock-up
Date Mon, 28 Oct 2002 01:05:05 GMT
Dmitri Plotnikov wrote:
> Please check out the two attached classes: Clazz and Field. These are client
> APIs only.  Nothing is said about where the metadata is coming from - that's
> to come later.
> Here are some notes on the design of these two classes:
> 1. Clazz is a metadescription of a  generalized bean (JDK bean, "modern"
> bean, DynaBean, Map, EJB etc).
> 2. In some cases there is more than one Clazz that can describe a particular
> object. For example, the same object can be described as a standard bean as
> well as a "modern" bean.  Therefore I have introduced the notion of a
> "model" identified by a URI.  I am thinking the URI itself might map to a
> verbal description of the model.
> 3. Clazz has a newInstance() method that is responsible for object
> allocation.

I looked at the API stuff.  I think there is an awful lot of extra stuff.
KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid).

Let's follow the java.lang.reflect.* as much as possible.  Provide a
getClass() method to get the original class.  Provide a getMethod() for
the AttributeMethod from the clazz.  That sort of thing.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>