commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael A. Smith" <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [collections] collections depends on lang? (RE: cvs commit: jakarta-commons/collections/src/java/org/apache/commons/collections ClassMap.java)
Date Sun, 27 Oct 2002 21:25:50 GMT
Ok, so I went back to write my little proposal (which I'm not even going
to mention now).  In order to make sure my proposal was well informed
and thus a higher chance of being adopted, I went back to take a look at
previous discussions about commons-core, dependencies between commons
components, and other related topics.  While very depressing[*], this
exercise was very informative, and is keeping me from making an
ill-advised proposal.

Even with the release of a commons-core or a commons-combo or whatever,
the issue of interdependencies isn't going to go away.  Classes and
functionality need to be put into the most appropriate classes, and only
when said functionality is absolutely necessary.

My current thoughts are that maybe this ClassMap shouldn't even be
there.  While it does provide some interesting functionality that I know
would be useful for the conversion stuff (as was the original example
that Hen described), the semantics of the super interface/class is way
under defined.  And even just adding documentation isn't going to solve
that, as different people may want different semantics.  I'm beginning
to think that if someone wants such a functionality they could have
their project depend on both lang and collections and implement the
semantics they want on their own.  In other words, I think that ClassMap
might be a little bit outside the scope of the collections component,
even if it *is* a map.

btw, an eventual dependency on lang and/or pattern might be acceptable,
but as Rodney pointed out, ClassMap isn't the best justification for
doing that at this point.

regards,
michael

[*] If you're curious, search archives in June for messages with the
subject of "architecture", and messages in August with subject of "cross
dependecy"[sic] and "pattern charter" (case insensitive).  That was
right before the start of the nearly two-week long debate on public
constructors. Fun, fun, fun.

Michael A. Smith wrote:
> Agreed.  Care must be taken when adding dependencies, especially to
> collections and lang.  I have an alternative suggestion, but want to
> write it up as a more formal proposal.  Hopefully I'll get that done by
> the end of the weekend.
>
> regards,
> michael
>
> On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Waldhoff, Rodney wrote:
>
>>Personally, I'd prefer not to have collections depend upon lang
>>(currently it doesn't depend upon anything else, correct?), at least
>>not if ClassMap is the best justification we have for it.
>>
>>A lot of other packages use Collections, so adding a new dependency to
>>Collections is adding a new dependency to a lot of modules.  We should
>>be very careful and deliberate about that.
>>

>>>Much of the code for getting all the superclasses
>>>and superinterfaces of a class is coded in the
>>>upcoming [lang] reflection code. Maybe the next
>>>collections release should depend on [lang]?
>>
>>>Stephen
>>
>>--

Michael A. Smith
mas@apache.org