commons-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [clazz] Metadata Provider [was: Passive or active metadata?]
Date Sat, 26 Oct 2002 03:43:15 GMT
Henri Yandell wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Dmitri Plotnikov wrote:
>

>>Juozas,
>>
>>Good idea. I believe we should have this mechanism.  I saw something
>>similar in WebLogic's ejbgen tool. There you encode metadata in
>>javadoc-style comments and then the tool uses it to generate various
>>Java and XML source files.
>

> You mean xdoclet? They're pretty big over at sourceforge.
>
> I need to start reading this thread, having to save it all up atm.

XDoclet, QDox  They both do the same thing.

However, what are you planning on doing with it?

Here is what we are doing in Avalon land.  We are using QDox (which is
faster BTW) to generate the meta information for the components.  We wrote
an ANT task to read the javadoc tags and create new XML files to describe
the metainfo for the component.

What would be better is to permanently associate the meta info directly
with the implementation/interface classes.  Using a new MetaInfo enabled
ClassLoader to pull the meta info programatically from the Class itself.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin