commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael A. Smith" <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What should we do about sandbox ? RE: License and copyright issues
Date Tue, 22 Oct 2002 04:39:58 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:
> Martin Cooper wrote:
>

>>I found a few things not yet mentioned:
>>
>>1) In codec\Metaphone.java, "Copyright 1997, William B. Brogden", which is
>>clearly a problem.
>>
>>2) In scaffold, numerous instances of "Copyright (c) 2002 Synthis
>>Corporation.", also clearly a problem.
>

> Acording to jakarta-commons rules, the sandbox is just a CVS repository
> where experiments may happen.
>
> I see it similar with commiters using their homes or public_html
> pages on jakarta - or with the commiters cvs repository.
>
> The sandbox is open to any jakarta commiter.
>
> The question is: do we have to police it and monitor all forms
> of activities that happen on apache servers ? Because as far as
> I can see, there is no difference between a file placed by a
> jakarta commiters on his public_html or home and the files
> in commons-sandbox.
>
> We made it very clear that sandbox code can't be released,
> and the fact that it is accessible using public cvs and
> viewcvs is similar with the public_html files.

These were my thoughts exactly, and partly why I only noticed the
potential issue (probably non-issue) with jxpath, and not those in codec
and scaffold.  I was only looking in jakarta-commons, not
jakarta-commons-sandbox.

> I would propose to ask the sandbox to be removed from viewcvs
> and the eventually discuss what to do about the public cvs.
> As a way to protect ourself. I wouldn't mind if this is voted
> down :-)

Certainly a possibility, but that kinda kills the ability to create a
community which is the whole point to the sandbox.

> What do you think about this issue ? Any other proposed solutions ?

Shouldn't we bring this question up with the jakarta PMC?  Since this is
really a legal question, I would think the board, via the PMC, should
have the say on how this should be handled.

michael