commons-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Davey <michael.da...@coderage.org>
Subject Re: [general] checkstyle report
Date Sun, 20 Oct 2002 10:59:50 GMT
Martin Cooper wrote:

>By default, I believe Mavenised projects are configured for the Sun coding
>conventions. Maven also directly supports the Turbine conventions, but you
>can modify either set, or define an entirely new set, on a per-project
>basis. There are Commons components that use each of these alternatives.
>
>The Commons charter allows each component to define its own set of coding
>conventions, as long as the conventions are documented. The default is the
>Sun coding conventions, if nothing else is stated.

It seems to me that projects tend to override bits of other styles.
 They say things like "[these are] coding conventions that are specific
to Jakarta Commons/Net everything else not specificially mentioned here
should follow the official Sun Java Coding Conventions
<http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/html/CodeConvTOC.doc.html>".

Perhaps it would be possible to define an authorative Maven coding style
and then provide a kind of cascading configuration that allows
individual projects to add or override conventions?  Also perhaps some
statistics on which project overrides and new conventions are popular so
that over time the Maven coding style could be expanded and refined?  I
guess Maven could even auto-generate a per-project document that
outlines that projects' coding style.

--
Michael