commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel F. Savarese" <>
Subject RE: [net] Re: problem with RCommandClient
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 16:37:26 GMT

>well, it just seemed that by default RCommandClient did not work as one
>would expect.  but I'm happy with the subclassing approach - it works

You're probably right that at least RExecClient and RCommandClient
should allow for half duplex connections, and as you indicated,
it's not a major change.  I just don't feel comfortable making the
decision to add a 1.3+ specific feature without additional consensus
from the user base or at least a settled-upon approach to support
multiple JDK versions (if deemed desirable).  I think what we ought
to do is freeze the code and get evertyhing in shape to meet the
requirements to become a Commons proper project, make a formal 1.x.x
release to supercede NetComponents 1.3.8, and then talk about cutting off
backward compatibility and reimplmenting/redesigining for a 2.0 release,
using improvements and the java.nio package.  But there's also
an argument to be made for just serving user needs as they are presented.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message