commons-dev mailing list archives

From Morgan Delagrange <mdela...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: httpd-like PMC organisation
Date Thu, 24 Oct 2002 01:05:28 GMT

--- Costin Manolache <cmanolache@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Morgan Delagrange wrote:
>
> > It's correct that we did not monitor commits as
> > closely as we should.  Roy raised our awareness or
> > this, and that's good.  However I don't think we
> need
> > a small group to check every single commit to
> every
> > component.  We all should be and will be more
> vigilant
> > now.
>
> Morgan - I'm not talking about a 'small group'. If
> you read
> reorg, IMO the PMC should be formed of all active
> commiters,
> like in httpd.

Quite right, your proposal did say "all committers".
Sounds like we're essentially arguing about nothing.
I'm saying that all committers should keep an eye on
commits.  You're saying that the PMC should monitor
all commits, but that the PMC should be all the
committers.  Fine.

I'm not sure what is gained by waving a wand over the
committers and naming them an unofficial PMC, but I
agree that we need to be responsible for commits.

> For example, we can have a list of all active
> commiters and
> what is covered by each. Part of this is already in
> STATUS,
> but out-of-date. There are also projects that we
> monitor
> without beeing in STATUS.
>
> We can call it 'PMC' or 'active commiters'. But we
> kind of need
> to know if the entire codebase is covered - and if
> not,
> either find volunteers or move the code to some
> 'stable'
> area ( if nobody is working on it anymore ).
>
> Besides the name ( PMC or whatever ) there is a
> problem of
> organization and coordination.
>
> I don't know - if it is too complicated we'll need a
> simpler
> solution. I hope we all realise that nobody can
> track all
> the code commits and all the code in general, and
> sooner
> or later an error can happen.
>
> Maybe a stylecheck would be enough to spot the
> obvious problems
> and the normal review that takes place will spot the
> others -
> and we don't actually need to do anything special.
> But
> I think it's good to at least discuss options and
> make an
> informed decision.
>
> --
> Costin