commons-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Downey <steve.dow...@netfolio.com>
Subject Re: [VFS] gumpifying vfs
Date Thu, 24 Oct 2002 04:53:43 GMT
On Wednesday 23 October 2002 10:46 am, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicolaken@apache.org> wrote:
> > Just add the jar in CVS,
>
> Sure - but you'll never find me advising anybody to put jars into CVS.
>
> Stefan
Putting the jars you produce into CVS is evil. Putting jars you depend on in
CVS just means dealing with binaries in CVS, which is problematic, but not
evil.

The upside of putting dependencies into CVS is that you control the version
you depend on. The downside is the insulation that lead to Gump in the first
place.

I certainly don't think relying on an external website for access to a jar is
a long term solution. What do you do when you want to build version N of the
project a few years from now, but the external jar is no longer available at
the same URL?