commons-dev mailing list archives

From Morgan Delagrange <mdela...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: httpd-like PMC organisation
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2002 18:58:46 GMT

--- robert burrell donkin
<robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wednesday, October 23, 2002, at 07:38 PM, Morgan
> Delagrange wrote:
>
> > It's correct that we did not monitor commits as
> > closely as we should.  Roy raised our awareness or
> > this, and that's good.  However I don't think we
> need
> > a small group to check every single commit to
> every
> > component.  We all should be and will be more
> vigilant
> > now.
> >
> > And yes, erroneous.  Roy accused us of hosting
> > plagarized code and knowingly ignoring its origin.
>  He
> > was mistaken, and he admitted it.  Let's not go
> ape
> > because some of our license files need updating.
>
> roy made two accusations. one that we were hosting
> plagorized code (which
> is probably untrue) and that no one monitors what's
> committed (which is
> true). he apologized for the first but i don't
> recall an apology for the
> second.
>
> - robert

Yes, I know.  His second suggestion is correct, we
need to keep a closer eye on commits.  However, that
does not negate the point I was making:

  "[the second accusation was] an ex post facto
  justification of a serious and completely
  erroneous accusation leveled on the reorg list.
  We're aware of the problem, and I don't think we
  need to make a small subset of our committers
  comb through the code."

I haven't seen any serious infringements to date, so I
think a commit police is overkill.  I think I can
safely say that we will be more vigilant in the future
in any case.  However, as I said, I'm not blocking
this proposal, I just urge everyone to consider if
this fixes a non-existent problem.

- Morgan

=====
Morgan Delagrange