commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [beanutils] ready for 1.5 release?
Date Fri, 18 Oct 2002 19:01:10 GMT

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 19:47:07 +0100
> From: robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk>
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: [beanutils] ready for 1.5 release?
>
> the patch looks ok.
>
> since it's a fix for a caching bug and all the caching code is private to
> the class, it's going to be very hard to create a test case without
> changing some of the variables from private to package (say).

This is an area that I've often wondered about -- how do most people deal
with writing unit tests for this sort of stuff?

In principle, I think it'd be OK to make things package instead of
private, if we also seal the JAR file (i.e. add a "Sealed:" attribute in
the manifest) to prevent application classes from declaring themselves
into the org.apache.commons.beanutils package and therefore gaining access
to these variables.

> it shouldn't be too hard to create a test case but the question is whether
> it's worth altering the API to do so. if the general feeling is that a
> test case for this issue is worth making this change, i'll take a look at
> writing one now.
>
> - robert

Craig