commons-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Downey <steve.dow...@netfolio.com>
Subject Re: [Latka][Proposal] Make Jelly a required dependency?
Date Mon, 14 Oct 2002 22:07:49 GMT
On Monday 14 October 2002 05:11 pm, Costin Manolache wrote:
> James Strachan wrote:
> > I'd really like a stable release of Jelly out ASAP so migrating it to the
> > commons proper sounds like a great idea.
>
> There is no need for a stable release.
>
> All you need ( IMO ) is a community and a plan to eventually get
> a release.
In fact, I think it's a really bad idea to move from sandbox to a stable
release. Although jelly seems to have good visibility, I know I don't, as a
rule, look very carefully at sandbox projects. I've assumed that once they
get past the proof of concept stage, they'll be proposed as a commons
project. I suspect I'm not the only one. And that means that a sandbox
project gets limited review.

Jelly seems to be exceptional, in that there's a lot of interest and use, but
I'd hate to see a precedent that a sandbox project can go to immediate
release.