commons-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Downey <steve.dow...@netfolio.com>
Subject Re: [lang] Ideas for Lang
Date Sat, 12 Oct 2002 00:16:43 GMT

> > > 5) StopWatch. Currently this is in [util], but as its basically a
> > > wrapper for System.currentLongTimeBlah I thought I'd mention it.
> >
> > Considering how often I write stopwatches inline, I think it sounds
> > useful. It's not that it's hard, it's that it's repetetetetive.
>
> Yep. It was in GenJavaCore and I never used it. Then I found out the guy
> who sits opposite me was using it constantly...

Thinking about it, I used to have one that used JNI to get access to a Windows
high performance multimedia timer. Clock ticks in the micro-second range. I
have no idea where the code is now, but I could probably recreate it.

I was working on comparing CORBA, RMI, COM and local VM calls. Plus local
machine vs networked.  No real surprises in the answers. But having hard
numbers gave me nice stick to beat developers with when they wanted to create
a remote String/Integer/Double/etc implementation.