commons-dev mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject [latka][anteater][jelly] possible integration... (was Re: Latka & Anteater)
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 12:17:19 GMT
Sorry to bring up such an old thread. I've just committed a patch supplied
by Robert Leftwich which allows some easy testing of servlet request using a
Jelly library which uses an embedded Jetty server.

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-commons-sandbox/jelly/src/test/org/apa
che/commons/jelly/jetty/defaultServer.jelly?rev=1.1&content-type=text/vnd.vi
ewcvs-markup

It got me thinking; I've always kept an eye on Latka and Anteater and it
seems like they are getting closer and closer each day. Both use some degree
of Ant, Jelly, Maven.

To make unit testing of Jelly easy, JellyUnit got created which has JUnit
integration, assertions, expression support, XPath validation and schema
validation (DTD, RelaxNG and XML Schema). Maybe JellyUnit might have some
use to both Latka and Anteater to help them fit into a JUnit framework (if
they don't already do that).
Then folks started adding HTTP client and HTTP server tags to Jelly thats
starting to blur the lines even more.

So now we have 3 projects with some overlap. I guess Cactus might overlap
here too. I get the feeling all these different projects are starting to
travel in the same direction. I'm just wondering what peoples thoughts were
on having some possible integration or sharing of code across the various
projects?

I'm not exactly sure how or what should happen. Sometimes code should stay
seperate as it just makes life easier. I just wanted to open a dialog really
to see if we can think of ways to share or reuse code or somehow work
together to solve the same goals.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/