commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Ola Berg" <ola.b...@ports.se>
Subject Re: [Lang] Validate! [was: Assertions?]
Date Tue, 22 Oct 2002 07:00:44 GMT
From: "Paul Cantrell" <cantrell@pobox.com>
> That's why it would probably be best to choose a method name which made
> it clear that the method is for argument validation, not null checking
> in general.

Validate it is then!

> I actually use IllegalStateException rather often, and
> UnsupportedOperation on occasion.

Of course we use a lot of different exceptions. But for validating risky (aka user provided)
arguments (which is what we have in mind), IAE is very appropriate.

From: "Stephen Colebourne" <scolebourne@btopenworld.com>
> I have a class like this at both work (called Assert) and in the Joda project (called
Validate).

Me to (but they are called Assert). Why can't you, Stephen, check some of this in (into lang
sandbox?) so that we can have a go at it?

/O