commons-dev mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [Jelly] WhileTag
Date Sat, 05 Oct 2002 09:47:50 GMT
From: "Eric Alexander" <eric.alexander@genscape.com>
> Hi all! Here's a patch to Jelly for a simple while tag. The usage looks
like
> this:
>
> <j:while test="${trueVar == 'true'}">
> <i:ask question="Goal:" answer="goal"/>
> <j:if test="${goal == 'exit'}">
> <j:set var="trueVar" value="false"/>
> </j:if>
> </j:while>
>
> So it simply takes an Expression for an argument and continues to loop
while
> it's true.

Great stuff! Many thanks and to dIon for committing it.

> Anyway, Jelly is really really cool. I'm having a lot of fun with it
lately.
> Jim Birchfield and I have
> also came up with the beginnings to an EJB tag.. Here's a sample of what
it
> looks like now:
>
>  <ejb:context var="jboss" provider="localhost:1099"
> factory="org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContextFactory"/>
>  <ejb:home ctx="jboss" var="plantViewHome"
> homeClass="com.genscape.ejb.common.PlantViewHome"
jndiName="ejb/PlantView"/>
>  <ejb:remote home="plantViewHome" var="plantViewRemote"
> remoteClass="com.genscape.ejb.plant.PlantView"/>
>  <ejb:invokeMethod var="results" remote="plantViewRemote"
> method="findPlant"/>
>
> This is all working pretty good, but we're trying to figure out a way to
> pass arguments into the invoked method...
> If anyone has any good ideas, just holler!

Groovy.

You can use the expression language to invoke methods...

${plantViewRemote.foo(a, b, 123, 'hello')}

If you want to capture a return value then use this

  <j:set var="answer" value="${somebean.calculateSomething(a, b)}"/>

If you want to you can use a real scripting language like beanshell, jython,
javascript, jacl etc. Though typically just invoking methods via the
expression language (Jexl) is enough. e.g. here's Jason's example script for
using the command line..

<jelly xmlns="jelly:core" xmlns:bsh="jelly:beanshell">
-a option = ${commandLine.getOptionValue("a")}
-b option = ${commandLine.getOptionValue("b")}
-c option = ${commandLine.getOptionValue("c")}
<bsh:script>
Properties sysprops = System.getProperties();
System.out.println("-testsysprop = " + sysprops.get("testsysprop"));
</bsh:script>
</jelly>
James-------http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/