commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen Colebourne" <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: [lang] Ideas for Lang
Date Sat, 12 Oct 2002 21:21:26 GMT
From: "Steve Downey" <steve.downey@netfolio.com>
> I figured out what they are for.
> Let's say you have something observing a String, for display or whatever.
If
> the value changes, you want the new value displayed. The entity doing the
> display shouldn't care what the String represents. So if it has a
> MutableString, and registers for notifications of changes of the
> MutableString, it can update whenever the String changes.

> They're kind of like Delegates for properties.

> What do you think?

And then you'd have a Swing model that binds the MutableString into the GUI
seemlessly....
See http://www.joda.org. I've already coded this.

Now, I reckon Joda might do with a little simplification, but the basic
stuff is there.
StringProperty == MutableString
IntegerProperty == MutableInteger
etc.
Swing GUI models written for the basics, text, radio buttons etc.

However, I think that the full implications of this are much greater than
[lang] should be dealing with.

Stephen