commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen Colebourne" <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: [clazz] Naming
Date Tue, 29 Oct 2002 09:12:53 GMT
From: "Dmitri Plotnikov" <dmitri@apache.org>
> IMO, we should take some widely used metamodel and apply the naming
> consistently.
>
> Java reflection: Class, Field, Method
> EJB: Entity, Field, Method
> UML: Class (clazz), Feature, Attribute, Operation, Association (for
> relationships)
> MOF/XMI: same
> JavaBeans: BeanDescription, FeatureDescriptor, PropertyDescriptor
>
> I'll say, if it is not JavaBeans, it should be UML.
>
> Thus, my preferrence would be: Clazz, Attribute, Operation

But this is only 3 names. We need 6 names in total for the system - 3 for
the meta part, 3 for the wrapper/instance part. This is why I used Meta as a
prefix for all the 3 meta ones, so as to distinuish them as a group.

I am not wedded to the Bean name (as it does have a lot of confusion). Clazz
already implies a meta concept as you point out. That leads to
 Clazz, MetaProperty, MetaOperation
 Instance, Property, Operation
Still doesn't seem right. Maybe because in a lot of cases, Clazz/MetaClazz
will be a wrapper for a real Class object.

Attribute causes me problems as a name. My thoughts:
Property is something owned by something else.
Attribute is an external description of something.

How about separating the naming:
 AClass, AField, AMethod (meta level)
 Instance, Property, Operation (delegate level)
Is that less or more confusing?

Stephen