commons-dev mailing list archives

From "David Morris" <David.Mor...@plumcreek.com>
Subject Are FastHashMap, etc. safe considering JSR 133?
Date Mon, 23 Sep 2002 17:03:05 GMT
While discussing the protections afforded by various synchronization
schemes, it was pointed out to me that on weakly consistent hardware
what used to work may fail. I have used synchronization like the
Jakarta Commons FastHashMap extensively and am now contemplating
what this means. The developers of the hardware platform we target
(IBM's iSeries) tell me they are moving to a weakly consistent memory
model. Is the fix to avoid techniques like FastHashMap and simply
synchronize all access in a multithreaded environment? How pervasive
is the use of techniques like the FastHashMap in the various Jakarta
projects like Tomcat, etc., which we use extensively?

Here is a reference that helps to explain the ramifications of JSR
133:

http://www.cs.umd.edu/~pugh/java/memoryModel/

Thanks,

David Morris