commons-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Rall <...@finemaltcoding.com>
Subject Re: Next stage in release
Date Wed, 25 Sep 2002 05:38:02 GMT
Steve Downey <steve.downey@netfolio.com> writes:

> On Friday 20 September 2002 03:09 am, Henri Yandell wrote:
> > Okay, I'm figuring that 1 and 2 are done.
> >
> > 1) Decide on what we want to go and what doesn't go.
> > 2) All agree that we're happy with the state of what is going, including
> >    javadoc and unit tests.
> >
> > Which puts us on to:
> >
> > 3) Make a preliminery build available internally. I'd like to then run
> >    JDiff on this with the beta. This hopefully can make us aware of any
> >    issues. This means having tag stuff in cvs done at this point.
> >
> > I looked into JDiff, but the learning curve feels too high for the amount
> > of effort I want to put in at the moment, so I wrote myself a script.
> > Here's the output:
> >
> > http://www.generationjava.com/projects/vij/commons-lang.javadiff
> >
> > It basically tells us what has changed. It's in DIFF format [cuz I used
> > diff] so the usual >  < stuff. It shows that we have a bunch of new
> > classes, that the exception classes have had some API change, that
> > ObjectUtils has gained an inner class and a method, that NumberUtils has
> > gained a few methods, and that StringUtils has lost 3 methods and gained a
> > new one.
> >
> > It's not wonderful, but seems to do what a changelog should do to me :)
> >

> Here's a Changlog generated from CVS commit comments:
>
> Generated using cvs2cl.pl, from http://www.red-bean.com/cvs2cl/

Karl's code is good.

Also, I don't know how you produced diffs, but the diff provided by
the GNU diffutils package has recursive capabilities:

dlr@despot:lang$ alias dirdiff
alias dirdiff='diff -drPN'

I generally do comparisons like this using CVS:

dlr@despot:lang$ cvs diff -r LANG_1_0_B1

Sorry if this is all obvious -- I just like people to have to do as
little work as possible.  :)
--

Daniel Rall <dlr@finemaltcoding.com>