commons-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject RE: Design question on BeanUtils.populate()
Date Wed, 25 Sep 2002 18:28:10 GMT
At 11:59 AM -0600 2002/09/25, Steve Wilkinson wrote:
>Please don't take my question the wrong way, I'm not trying to start a flame
>war here.  I'm just saying the specification says that it's not to set the
>attribute on the bean if there is an empty string retrieved from the
>request.
>
>RE: How would you set something to an empty string, then?
>Why would you need to set it to an empty string?  Doesn't an empty string
>represent no input, just as leaving the attribute to it's initalized value?

Remember that Beanutils isn't used only in a servlet environment.

>I'm just asking if anyone realized that the specification operates
>differently and if there are plans to change this implementaiton.  My
>conclusion from reading the specification and from seeing the implementation
>of BeanUtils.populate() that this method does not operate in the spirit of
>the <jsp:setProperty> tag that's built into the JSP specification.  If this
>is the case, could we add something in the JavaDoc to indicate it as such?

Documenting the difference is probably the best solution.  After all,
this isn't jsp:setProperty, so it doesn't have to behave the same way
-- but it's understandable that you might expect it to at first
glance.

Maybe you can provide a patch with documentation that you think is clearer?
<http://jakarta.apache.org/site/getinvolved.html>

Joe

* Joe Germuska    { joe@germuska.com }
"It's pitiful, sometimes, if they've got it bad. Their eyes get
glazed, they go white, their hands tremble.... As I watch them I
often feel that a dope peddler is a gentleman compared with the man
who sells records."
	--Sam Goody, 1956