commons-dev mailing list archives

From Taras Tielkes <ta...@info.nl>
Subject RE: VOTE: Release 1.0 of Validator
Date Tue, 24 Sep 2002 08:44:03 GMT
Hi James,

Will expanded documentation be part of a release?

I'm currently trying to use commons-validator in a stand-alone program
(outside of Struts), but I'm having a hard time.

I know that there's always the source to read, but I wouldn't object to:

1)
A DTD of XSD file defining the configuration format (yes, I know it's
simple, but it's good to specify things like these)

2)
An explanation of how elements in the .xml configuration file map to members
of the runtime object model
-The mapping is absolutely nonintuitive (This is what I've figured out, I
may be wrong):
	a "validator" element -> an "action" at runtime?
	a "name" attrubute of a "msg" element -> is referred to as the "key"
3)
Improve the general documentation. For instance: what are "Result Values"?
(from the getResultValueMap()).

But even more important is a explanation of why to use something. (When do
such "Result Values" come in handy?)
Some (commented) sample code describing the most commons scenarios:
-How do I reuse resources? Where do I put these and how do I refer to them?
-How to internationalize resources?
-How to write a new validator?
-And *why the hell* should I call validator.addResource("java.util.List",
myList) just to get some errors? I'd expect a "validation framework" to have
a more robust way of error reporting. Anyway, if there's a good reason for
this, document it.

4)
General behaviour and flow of control.

I've written a couple of validators and connected these to a field using

depends="validateA,validateB"

Yet always, B is called first, and A is *always* called as well, no matter
what the outcome of B was. It may be that I got I bad nightly release, but
there no way to know by reading the documentation. Write down what the thing
is supposed to actually do.

Regards,

tt