commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: digester 2.0 [WAS Re: [digester] [PROPOSAL] More pattern matching flexibility]
Date Thu, 05 Sep 2002 17:48:01 GMT
On Thursday, September 5, 2002, at 08:23 AM, Christopher Lenz wrote:

> robert burrell donkin wrote:
>> i'm pretty happy with the way that this is heading but maybe it'd be
>> easier for more people to review these changes and suggest improvements
>> if we had them in cvs. maybe a branch is the right way to go forward.
>> (we can merge back once everyone's happy with the changes.)
>> comments?
>
> Branching would be a good idea... just to clarify: you'd create a branch
> where big changes (like my patch) would go, while smaller changes and
> bugfixing continues in HEAD? I thought the usual approach was the other
> way around, where you'd create a branch for maintainence (say
> DIGESTER_1_BRANCH), and let the big changes happen in HEAD. At least that'
> s how it works in Tomcat, Slide and Struts.

this would be a small branch not a big branch :)

scott and craig are probably going to be busy for a while (at least the
tomcat release is over). i'd really prefer it if they were able to take a
look at the proposals before we make a definite decision about 2.0. on the
other hand, i don't want to stop the proposal being developed.

so, the branch would be for developing a possible future digester 2.0
(without making an absolute decision yet) rather than back branching a
maintenance version.

- robert