commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Martin Cooper" <martin.coo...@tumbleweed.com>
Subject RE: [taglibs][standard] URI Specification
Date Fri, 06 Sep 2002 19:24:17 GMT

There is a commons-user list, but that wouldn't have been the right list for
your question either. The right list would be taglibs-user. ;-)

>  On to my question:
>
> I've read where, in order for a container to optimize use of
> the JSTL,
> one should always use the "proper" URI.  My question is:  May
> I specify
> a shortcut in my web.xml (with a <taglib> element) and use
> that shortcut
> in each of my pages, or does this circumvent detection of the
> taglib as
> "the JSTL" and therefore make it impossible for optimization
> to occur?
>  I'd like for the optimization to take place, if it will, but I would
> also like to get around having to specify such a large URI in
> every page
> -- out of pure laziness (I'll fess up!).

You need to use the full URI in your taglib directives. That's how a
container will recognise that you want to use the standard taglib. For
example, using Resin 2.1.4, you just specify the correct URI, and you don't
need any other configuration or any jars for it to use its own
implementation of JSTL.

If you don't want to have the length taglib directives in each page, you
should be able to use an include directive (i.e. <%@ include ... %>) to pull
them in from another file at compile time.

--
Martin Cooper