commons-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Scott Sanders" <ssand...@nextance.com>
Subject RE: [Digester] XML Pull
Date Wed, 18 Sep 2002 16:32:48 GMT
Gregory,  I will take a look.  Thanks.

Scott

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Gregory M. Messner [mailto:gmessner@titan.com] 
> Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 9:29 AM
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List
> Subject: Re: [Digester] XML Pull
> 
> 
> Scott,
> 
> On the topic of performance, I sent in some patches 2 weeks 
> ago that in 
> most cases graetly improved the performabce of the digester. They 
> basically involve saving the Method instance for rules that invoke a 
> method, the current rules use:
> 
> org.apache.commons.beanutils.MethodUtils.invokeMethod()
> 
> to invoke the methods and a lookup is done on the method each 
> and every 
> time it is invoked.  My patches do a lookup of the method and 
> save the 
> Method instance for future invokation.  I've attached the 
> patches again 
> in hopes that they might be considered.
> 
> Greg
> 
> Scott Sanders wrote:
> 
> >The major reason for (lack of) performance in Digester is the 
> >reflection/introspection first, then the pattern matching second.  I 
> >re-implemented a minimal 'Digester' that does exact match on the 
> >current element, and has hard-coded type-safe rules, and the thing 
> >screams.  I would assume that on that the parsing would then be the 
> >bottleneck.
> >
> >I am not against starting a proposal for a digester-like entity that 
> >works with pull parsing, to be just another usage option as you say. 
> >You are welcome to submit a patch with an implementation.
> >
> >Scott
> >
> >>-----Original Message-----
> >>From: Tal Lev-Ami [mailto:tla@trivnet.com]
> >>Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 12:36 AM
> >>To: 'Jakarta Commons Developers List'
> >>Subject: RE: [Digester] XML Pull
> >>
> >>
> >>Performance. Parsers like XPP are much faster than any
> >>available SAX parser (at least that I know of). 
> >>See http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-injava.
> >>The performance comes at the expense of full standard 
> >>compliance but for most documents that isn't really 
> >>important. I don't think that XML Pull should replace SAX, 
> >>just be another usage option. I haven't done a benchmark of 
> >>the Digester it self, maybe the XML parsing part is not the 
> >>main problem, but I have a feeling it is.
> >>
> >>Tal Lev-Ami
> >>Trivnet Ltd.
> >>
> >>-----Original Message-----
> >>From: Scott Sanders [mailto:ssanders@nextance.com]
> >>Sent: Wed, September 18, 2002 1:27 AM
> >>To: Jakarta Commons Developers List
> >>Subject: RE: [Digester] XML Pull
> >>
> >>
> >>Would there be a good reason for it, other than because we can?
> >>
> >>Scott
> >>
> >>>-----Original Message-----
> >>>From: Tal Lev-Ami [mailto:tla@trivnet.com]
> >>>Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 5:13 AM
> >>>To: Jakarta Commons Developers List (E-mail)
> >>>Subject: [Digester] XML Pull
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>Anybody tried to adapt the Digester to work with XML Pull 
> >>>(http://www.xmlpull.org)? It should be fairly easy to do and there 
> >>>are pretty fast parsers out there.
> >>>
> >>>Tal Lev-Ami
> >>>Trivnet Ltd.
> >>>
> >>>--
> >>>To unsubscribe, e-mail:   
> >>><mailto:commons-dev-> unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
> >>>For
> >>>additional commands,
> >>>e-mail: <mailto:commons-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>--
> >>To unsubscribe, e-mail:
> >><mailto:commons-dev-> unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
> >>For 
> >>additional commands, 
> >>e-mail: <mailto:commons-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org>
> >>
> >>--
> >>To unsubscribe, e-mail:   
> >><mailto:commons-dev-> unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
> >>For
> >>additional commands, 
> >>e-mail: <mailto:commons-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org>
> >>
> >>
> >
> >--
> >To unsubscribe, e-mail:   
> <mailto:commons-dev-> unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
> >For 
> additional commands, 
> e-mail: 
> ><mailto:commons-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org
> >
> 
> 

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <mailto:commons-dev-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
For additional commands, e-mail: <mailto:commons-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org>


Mime
View raw message