commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Dever <jsde...@sympatico.ca>
Subject Re: [HttpClient] Preferences Architecture Analysis
Date Thu, 19 Sep 2002 00:38:50 GMT
Ortwin Gl├╝ck wrote:

> Mark R. Diggory wrote:
> > 1.) Would there be a means to assign my own properties object to the
> > HttpClient, HttpConnection and HttpMethod objects? So I could control
> > the settings on a "client by client", "connection by connection",  or
> > "method by method" basis?
>
> Yes I think this makes sense. Do we really need one at the connection
> level as well? To be discussed.
> [I assume you mean connection as "per server" and not physical sockets.
> Remember: A method may (re-)open a physical connection. With Http 1.1
> several methods can reuse the same physical connection. ]

For the connection issue, it is unreasonable to set properties for each socket,
but it is reasonable to set it for the HttpConnection class.

> > 2.) Is there a "priority" the architecture levels? ie:
> >
> > key                                     properties
> >        client   -->  connection   -->    method     =    actually used

> Yes. This is exactly the priority system I meant by "patching" with
> local preferences.

Yes, this seems good.  Might also want to add a global (or default) level before
the client which would could be system wide.  This could be system properties or
in a httpclient global properties file.