commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Hoegg <>
Subject Re: [httpclient] Content-Length handling
Date Wed, 18 Sep 2002 17:10:35 GMT
You are right.  If we wait, we are basically falling back to waiting for
the server to close the connection in every case.  I believe that
HttpClient behaves correctly.  I have already pursued this with the
appropriate HTTP servers :)

Ryan Hoegg
ISIS Networks

Ortwin Gl├╝ck wrote:

> My point of view:
> We should primarily stick to the RFCs. (Yes I know there are other
> interest groups who do server testing). If there are servers that have
> a faulty HTTP implementation that's their problem (which should be
> corrected), not ours. Better write to them :-)
> But the actual problem here is more: How can we determine that the
> content-length was reported too small?
> Imagine the following situation:
> Server reports content-lenth 1000 bytes. The actual content is 1015
> bytes. After 10 bytes the server pauses (maybe because of network jam)
> and after some seconds the remaining 15 bytes arrive. There is
> absolutely no reason why the client should wait (for how long?) for
> more data after it has received the reported number of bytes.
> So we can not detect this in general, right?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message