commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Francois Arcand <jfarc...@apache.org>
Subject Re: digester 2.0 [WAS Re: [digester] [PROPOSAL] More pattern matching flexibility]
Date Wed, 04 Sep 2002 17:24:57 GMT

Christopher Lenz wrote:

> Jean-Francois Arcand wrote:
>
>> Christopher Lenz wrote:
>>
>>> After some more fiddling I think we can get this implemented without
>>> breaking binary compatibility. Well, almost: The field
>>> Digester.rules is the only remaining problem. It'd need to be
>>> removed or at least ignored by Digester, both possibly breaking
>>> clients who used the field directly to get/set the Rules instance
>>> from a subclass.
>>>
>>> I've got Digester working with the Matcher interface, and all of the
>>> unit tests still run without modifications.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure where to go from here... One could argue that
>>> backwards-compatibility is pretty much preserved with the changes,
>>> so this stuff could even go into a 1.x release, and a subsequent 2.0
>>> release would be a cleanup release, removing all the deprecated stuff.
>>

>> Not sure I like the "pretty much preserved" :-) Like you said, the
>> Digester.rules is a problem (maybe small, maybe not). I would prefer
>> adding your work under 2.0.
>

> Okay, I definitely appreciate the conservative point of view ;-)
>
> Having so many protected members in such a central and exposed class
> can really have a negative impact on further development... reducing
> the exposure of instance variables would IMHO be a very important
> point to consider for Digester 2.0.
>
> BTW, Jean-Francois, you've added the XML Schema support, right? Is
> there any reason why Digester.JAXP_SCHEMA_LANGUAGE is neither static
> nor final?

Yes, the goal was to be able to use the parser with another schema
language (ex:
http://www.ascc.net/xml/resource/schematron/schematron.html) or a
user-defined schema language. BTW, the way I name the variable is
misleading since uppercase is usually used for final/static variable...

-- Jeanfrancois