commons-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Lenz <cml...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: digester 2.0 [WAS Re: [digester] [PROPOSAL] More pattern matching flexibility]
Date Wed, 04 Sep 2002 17:17:06 GMT
Jean-Francois Arcand wrote:
> Christopher Lenz wrote:
>> After some more fiddling I think we can get this implemented without
>> breaking binary compatibility. Well, almost: The field Digester.rules
>> is the only remaining problem. It'd need to be removed or at least
>> ignored by Digester, both possibly breaking clients who used the field
>> directly to get/set the Rules instance from a subclass.
>>
>> I've got Digester working with the Matcher interface, and all of the
>> unit tests still run without modifications.
>>
>> I'm not sure where to go from here... One could argue that
>> backwards-compatibility is pretty much preserved with the changes, so
>> this stuff could even go into a 1.x release, and a subsequent 2.0
>> release would be a cleanup release, removing all the deprecated stuff.
>
> Not sure I like the "pretty much preserved" :-) Like you said, the
> Digester.rules is a problem (maybe small, maybe not). I would prefer
> adding your work under 2.0.

Okay, I definitely appreciate the conservative point of view ;-)

Having so many protected members in such a central and exposed class can
really have a negative impact on further development... reducing the
exposure of instance variables would IMHO be a very important point to
consider for Digester 2.0.

BTW, Jean-Francois, you've added the XML Schema support, right? Is there
any reason why Digester.JAXP_SCHEMA_LANGUAGE is neither static nor final?

--
Christopher Lenz
/=/ cmlenz at gmx.de