commons-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Lenz <cml...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: digester 2.0 [WAS Re: [digester] [PROPOSAL] More pattern matching flexibility]
Date Wed, 04 Sep 2002 15:51:53 GMT
After some more fiddling I think we can get this implemented without
breaking binary compatibility. Well, almost: The field Digester.rules is
the only remaining problem. It'd need to be removed or at least ignored
by Digester, both possibly breaking clients who used the field directly
to get/set the Rules instance from a subclass.

I've got Digester working with the Matcher interface, and all of the
unit tests still run without modifications.

I'm not sure where to go from here... One could argue that
backwards-compatibility is pretty much preserved with the changes, so
this stuff could even go into a 1.x release, and a subsequent 2.0
release would be a cleanup release, removing all the deprecated stuff.

Does anyone else have opinions on this? (I know, commons & patience etc.
;-)) Should I just send a (large) patch so someone can check it out?

--
Christopher Lenz
/=/ cmlenz at gmx.de