commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Dever <jsde...@sympatico.ca>
Subject RE: [httpclient] move to JUnit 3.8
Date Wed, 04 Sep 2002 01:03:02 GMT
Vincent,
Thanks for the warning.  We've already moved but have not noticed any
problems yet.

Everyone in HttpClient,
please do not use and new junit features, and watch for problems.

I'm sorry to disappoint you but JUnit 3.8 has several issues. I tried to
move Cactus to JUnit 3.8 last week and I had to remove it in the end.

There are several serious bugs:

- the assertEquals() with a null parameter is broken, resulting in a
JUnit error (and it doesn't stop a build)
- they have introduced the context classloader to load classes. This is
good but it has been introduced in a disruptive manner that will fail
some existing tests in some environments.

BTW, I believe there are already patches for the 2 bugs but they have
not been included in any release yet.

The second bug is not too much an issue for HttpClient internal tests
but it is for Cactus as Cactus users are running cactus/junit tests in
all
environments.

I would suggest to wait for 3.8.1.

Cheers,